Joseph A. Rizzi is a highly experienced attorney who works in the Firm’s commercial group. Martindale-Hubbell has for over 35 years rated him AV Preeminent, the highest possible peer review rating. He is the recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award of the N.J. Chapter of the Fordham Law School Alumni Association. He has represented major banking and insurance company lending institutions in many and varied activities, has served as General Counsel for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority for 9 years, has for 16 years (2000-2015) served as General Counsel or Special Counsel for Hospital Affairs for the Bergen County Improvement Authority (the holder of the license for the operation of the 1,070 bed Bergen County-owned Bergen Regional Medical Center), was a Borough Attorney for 24 years, served over a 20 year period as counsel for numerous boards of education, including those of Paramus, Tenafly, Westfield, Morristown, Cliffside Park, Ramsey, Midland Park, Norwood and Sparta, and has represented a multitude of major private sector clients in commercial transactions, litigations, development projects involving hotels (including the 907 room Hyatt Regency Hotel 3 blocks from the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.), shopping centers, self storage facilities, housing developments, and urban redevelopment mixed use projects in Paterson where abandoned silk mills were converted to residential, office and retail spaces. Among his many professional accomplishments, earlier in his career, he and his partners completed a unique structured-lease financing transaction involving $66,000,000 of off-balance sheet financing, with bond-insurer backing, for the construction and development for Hackensack University Medical Center of the Justice Marie Garibaldi Medical Plaza which has turned out to be one of the nation’s most utilized clinical arts out-patient centers.
With a deep knowledge and understanding of the ins and outs of government and public policy, Joe has devoted a great deal of his time and resources to the betterment of New Jersey and has earned a reputation as a business and civic leader. Joe has a long history of serving Bergen County and the wider community. He is a U.S. Army Korean War veteran who achieved the rank of Captain. He is a past long-term member of the Board of Directors of the Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey (CIANJ), as well as its Executive Committee, and served as its General Counsel. He is a former long-term member of the Board of Trustees of the Bergen Council/Northern New Jersey Council of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) for which he also served as its General Counsel. In 2002, the BSA awarded him its Silver Beaver Award, the highest honor given by the BSA to civilian volunteers. He has been a member of the Board of Directors of the HackensackUMC Foundation (for 30 years), the Foundation for Free Enterprise and the Bears Nest Condominium Association.
Joe’s professional affiliations have included membership in the American Bar Association, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York (now The New York City Bar Association), the Bergen County Bar Association, the American Association for Justice (formerly the Association of the Trial Lawyers of America),and the American Health Lawyers Association.
- Borough of Paramus v. County of Bergen, Bergen County Improvement Authority, et al., 27 N.J. Tax 215 (2013)
- University Plaza Realty Corp. v. Hackensack, 12 N.J. Tax 354 (1992)
- Blazer Corp. v. New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority, 199 N.J. Super. 107 (App. Div. 1985)
- Jamison v. Morris School Dist. Bd. of Education, 198 N.J. Super. 411 (App. Div. 1985)
- Atlantic City Racing Asso. v. Attorney Gen., 98 N.J. 535 (1985)
- Blazer Corp. v. New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority, 195 N.J. Super. 542 (Law Div. 1984)
- Atlantic City Racing Asso. v. Attorney Gen. of State, 189 N.J. Super. 549 (Law Div. 1983)
- Gish v. Board of Education, 145 N.J. Super. 96 (App. Div. 1976)
- Kochman v. Keansburg Board of Education, 124 N.J. Super. 203 (Ch. Div. 1973)
- Bowman v. Hackensack Hospital Asso., 116 N.J. Super. 260 (Ch. Div. 1971)
- Rains v. Cascade industries, Inc., 269 F. Supp. 688 (D. N.J. 1967)
- Ceva v. Township of River Vale, et al., 119 N.J. Super. 593 (App. Div. 1972); affirmed 62 N.J. 245 (1973)