Michael Sternlieb has a national real estate and construction practice, and heads the Firm’s construction services group. Mr. Sternlieb’s practice concentrates on the acquisition, sale, exchange and leasing of industrial, office and commercial properties; real estate and construction finance; work-outs and restructurings; the negotiation and drafting of construction, construction management, design and related agreements for office, industrial and commercial projects, shopping centers, schools, hospitals, churches and arenas; acquisition, sale and redevelopment of Brownfields and other contaminated properties; representing potentially responsible parties (PRPs) in connection with CERCLA (Superfund) sites; real estate brokerage law; outdoor advertising (billboard) law; real estate and construction joint ventures; mergers and acquisitions of construction, construction materials, real estate, real estate brokerage and outdoor advertising businesses; franchising law; and counseling non-profit organizations.
Mr. Sternlieb has played a prominent role in representing clients in a wide variety of transactions, including:
- The seller in the sale of a family real estate portfolio of industrial and office buildings to a major real estate fund.
- One of the largest NJ/NY based road contractors and construction materials suppliers in a merger with a Forbes Global 2000 construction materials company.
- A real estate fund in the acquisition, development and leasing of a facility for a charter school.
- A national charter school management organization in the construction of several charter schools.
- A software developer in the acquisition, financing, development and construction of a corporate headquarters facility.
- A Fortune 500 company in a construction contract, and a construction dispute, in connection with a new building on its corporate headquarters campus.
- A public REIT in connection with construction and design contracts for the renovation of a regional mall, the renovation of an urban mall, a new suburban mall, retail build-outs in New York City and the renovation of a landmark mixed use building on Fifth Avenue in New York City.
- Several real estate funds in connection with design, construction and access agreements for out of the ground residential and office projects in New York City.
- Several franchisees in successfully renewing franchises and leases where a major international restaurant franchisor had attempted to avoid or unreasonably condition renewal.
- An independent outdoor advertising company in connection with the leasing, permitting, development, construction and sale of numerous outdoor advertising locations, as well lease disputes and regulatory compliance issues.
- A large footwear manufacturer in the sale of its three NJ facilities, including a sale of two facilities to a governmental entity, and a lease for a new corporate headquarters.
- A Fortune 500 Company in the sale of a manufacturing facility.
- A Fortune 500 Company in a build to suit lease of a 600,000 sf warehouse/distribution facility.
- A real estate joint venture in the formation of a real estate fund and the acquisition of warehouse/industrial buildings in multiple states.
- A physicians' group in the acquisition, financing, development and construction of a new medical building on a hospital campus, including the creation of a new unit in a medical condominium, a ground lease and a long term space lease with a national hospice operator.
- A regional commercial real estate brokerage firm in a merger with a national real estate services company.
Mr. Sternlieb has served as an officer and trustee of the Jewish Home at Rockleigh (which he currently serves as general counsel), and as a trustee of the Union for Reform Judaism.
Mr. Sternlieb has achieved the highest Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated1 from Martindale-Hubbell, the premier directory of legal professionals. He has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the prestigious Best Lawyers in America in Real Estate Law, 2007-2018. He has also been selected by New York Magazine as one of the New York Area's Best Lawyers in Real Estate Law, and included in 201 Magazine's list of Top Lawyers in Bergen County.
1AV® and AV Preeminent® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., use in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.See Award Methodology